Saturday, October 10, 2009

new.

Here I go being overly ambitious with my next painting. I am going to do my first self portrait. I had this strange complex in which I felt it was self-centered to do a self portrait so I would feel so weird doing one. I realize that everyone addresses this and probably does one or even many, and that it is a completely valid way to express your view of yourself or a way to discuss your view about something going on around you. Nevertheless mine will be a life size depiction of myself nested in a cocoon of fur, wearing a huge indian head dress, and surrounded by really long hair and animals. I am going to try something new with my painting style. I want to restrict myself to not reverting to my comfort zone of outlines. While that is no doubt a part of my style I really want to try a variety of stroke and paint application for this one. This also means that to prepare I have been working on value sketches rather than line drawings.... there is a big margin for frustration but I think I will be able to pull off something really new for me.


1 comment: