Monday, January 24, 2011

The Future is Illustrated!

On Sunday, Salina and I went to visit You at her studio in Brooklyn. The space is called the Pencil Factory It is one of the most magical places I have ever seen in NYC! It is a community of young artists in their 20s and 30s who just play and make art together. So many people I highly respect and admire are here. I honestly can't remember the first two artists I met but I do know the third artist in that space was Jessica Hische. She wasn't there but it was great to get a peak into the world of a very prime typographic contributer! In the next studio we met Neil Swaab. He does animation for adult swim and comedy central. He was super nice and really willing to show us his current projects. He is hoping his pitch for a new show gets accepted soon. He is going to teach at Parsons this semester. Finally we went to You Byun's studio. She shares with Sam Weber, Grady McFerrin, Chris Silas Neal, and someone else I don't remember. All these illustrators I respect very much and it was such a special experience to be in such an intimate place as their studio. Looking at their process and sketches on their walls and desk really inspires me to get going and work really hard. I always feel like I have to graduate as a brilliant artist but I need to embrace that the perfection of skill is something to be mastered with hard work. I am excited to see how my potential unfolds. I am so grateful so have such amazing people to look up to and talk with!

Grady McFerrin's wall

Sam Weber's wall. I like his plant.

C.S. Neal's wall. His "C' for Chris was made for him by Jessica Hische.

A funny pet seagull! I don't know if it belongs to You or Sam but it flies in between their worlds.

The lovely You Byun! My big sister here in NYC! :)

I really liked this poster on their door

After we left You to her work we set out and found a Polish restaurant because we were in a Polish community area of BK. As a ate my Beef Goulash I contemplated what had just occurred. I can tend to feel overwhelmed because so many awesome artists are cranking out great ideas and meeting each other so quickly. I feel like I am late to the party or I have to hurry up or I will miss it all. I need to calm down and realize that God has intended a place for me with these people in this industry and he is going to equip my mind with large and magical ideas to carry out. I couldn't help but think Justin needed to be seeing this stuff too! Awesomely awesome adventure!

No comments:

Post a Comment